2016-06-14 Monthly Meeting

AWA Meeting Minutes

June 14, 2016 – South End Baptist Church, 60 Hastings Drive, Dartmouth

25 members and guests in attendance. Meeting called to order at 7:10.

Business & Reminders

  • We had a great visit Dave Barry’s place Waverly on Saturday, Jun 11. Dave is an arborist and a member of Nova Woodturners . He recently started milling and storing wood to draw. He is planning to build a facility soon and also wants to offer classes to troubled teens.  We are going to try to organize a demo at his site in the summer so he can show us the milling process. If we can coordinate an outing, details will be sent by email.  See some pictures of our outing here.
  • We are looking for a new program coordinator for meetings since John Woods is too busy at this time. If you are willing to take on the coordinator role, contact Gary. There is a committee in place to support finding and contacting speakers, and developing challenges.
  • Discussion on interest in setting up a recruiting booth at the Dartmouth market. A number of members indicated willingness to volunteer.  Gary will follow up with details on scheduling and costs and report back in September
  • Gary brought some sample sand paper from Powers. We have received purchases and Gary has p20160614_AWAMeeting (13)acked in smaller packages.  We’ll sell at cost; AWA will not make anything from the transactions.  The group purchase was done for convenience of members and to make shipping cost more reasonable.

 

  • There will be a Potluck Summer Social BBQ at Ted and Debbie Monk’s on Aug 20 (Rain Date Aug 21).  Reminders will be sent by email.  Guests / potential members are welcome. AWA will purchase hamburgers, hot dogs, slides.  Participants will bring any other items for BBQ and dish(es) to share.
  • MOTION put forward to spend $150 on BBQ supplies. Moved by Don Shubaly; seconded by Stan Salsman.  Motion CARRIED
  • Stephen gave an update on the Bravery Bead boxes. Handed out a sign-up sheet for members to say how many boxes they will make and whether they will work alone or prefer to work as a team. Stephen and Gary will coordinate teams and contact everyone.  Gary will collect donation from Halifax Specialty.  Stephen will do some resawing.  Tom is able to store wood at his house for pick/up.  The BB Committee has decided to let individuals / teams design their boxes rather than having a set design.  They offer these guidelines / standards:
    • Requested size is 6” x 6” x 4”
    • Joined corners, no glued edges
    • Wood will be donated by Halifax Specialty. Gary will request maple, beech, birch, cherry as these woods have been identified as low toxicity
    • After a group discussion on finishes, members felt best solution is waterbased, poly urahthane
  • 20160614_AWAMeeting (18)Gene Nurse offered to do a cutting board workshop if there is interest. Participants would pay for materials, lunch could be included.  He can take up to 5 participants.  Stan will send notice of possible dates

Show and Share (2x 4 Challenge)

  • Our second annual 2 x 4 event for 2 gift cards from Lee Valley.
  • Doug – oblish for garden (and only one stick left over)
  • Stephen – tulip rack – with dowels cut from the same piece
  • Darrel – outdoor side table which including detail from beading plane on legs
  • Walt – car set that fit together – used a hole saw to cut wheels and painted c tole paints
  • Gary – a shoji screen based on full-size scale. Went through lots of panels to find straight wood and screwed with dowel plugs and plexiglass.  Finished with a dark stain.
  • Bob – a cutlery tray with painted wood
  • Bill – a hummingbird pull toy from 2×8

 

The entries were all impressive. Members voted for two top favourites. Mary Elizabeth and Sheila counted, counting all votes equally (first round count did not matter if votes were 1st or second choice). Votes were so close we had to break a 4-way tie by counting how many 1st and second votes each of those people had. In the end Walt and Gary were declared winners with the same number of votes, 1 above two closest contenders. Congrats to our two winners, Walt and Gary, who each won a $25 LV Gift Card.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

 

Next Meeting

August 20 (or 21): Potluck at Ted’s – bring finished boxes to show or submit

Sept. 13: Regular monthly meeting at South End Baptist.  Show and share will be summer projects

This content is restricted to AWA members. If you are an existing user, please login. New users may register below.

Existing Users Log In
   
New User Registration
*Please indicate that you agree to the TOS
*Required field