2016-03-08 Meeting

March 8, 2016 – South End Baptist Church, 60 Hastings Drive, Dartmouth

21 members and guests in attendance. Phil introduced guest Barry Wicks

There was no guest tonight due to last minute cancellation of scheduled speaker

Business & Reminders

  • Gary called for suggestions for potential guest speakers for the next few month
    • Suggestion for Bobby Grace (BobbyGraceFurnitur.com) with a request that he cover different things than last time, specifically with a focus on design considerations and his creative process
  • Gary & Stephen got together and decided what to order from Power – they placed an order for reg sandpaper in 180,220 and 340 grit and boxes of several grits which AWA will purchase and then sell by sheet or package.
    • Don pointed out that Lee Valley sells conversion kits to work with the Powers sand discs
  • Stephen gave an update on Bravery Beads and led discussion about whether boxes need to be all the same. A committee of volunteers will discuss parameters
  • There is going to be a review of library holidays this Saturday and volunteers are requested. Mary Elizabeth will send reminder invite with confirmation of time
  • Walt provided update on member database. Currently there are multiple versions so Walt will send out email to invite all members to submit a member registration form to update records. The plan is that after next couple of meetings, members who have not registered will be taken off the member list. He will coordinate with Stan re newsletter and Don re website.

Show and Share

  • Phil did a presentation of the post & beam boat house that some of us toured in the spring. He shared slides of the process, which was very impressive. It was something to see the lift. Lumber was sent to Montreal for sizing and Blue Rock Lumber Framing of Lunenburg did the joinery and build.
  • Roy brought a pine shelf with rotary edges and a display unit with through dove tails so it can be disassembled
  • Bob answered the time keeping challenge with 2 different models – one pine with black paint and one beech with varathane pre-stained oil. He got glass for the from from Pars Glass in Burnside 
  • Walt shared an hour glass for the marking time challenge (which he said was more for fun than for accurate timing) as well as a pine shelving for wine glasses
  • Darrell presented his clock with a base that gave him some practice in dovetails. He used yellow birch on the face and pine with mahogany and covered with poly urethane
  • Stan showed some cut numbers and symbols that he made with a scroll saw and a sewing room clock that was his answer to marking time.
  • Doug brought a sundial that he had repaired
  • Gary applied his usual unique approach to the challenge and answered the challenge with a box he uses to keep thyme. What a jokester.
    • Brad spoke about his ryobi and pull saws from kits which he got from Wenzloff & Sons  after reading about them in Fine Woodworking 249 Oct 2015

Next Meeting

Tuesday April 12, 2016. AGM followed by regular monthly meeting.

This content is restricted to AWA members. If you are an existing user, please login. New users may register below.

Existing Users Log In
   
New User Registration
*Please indicate that you agree to the TOS
*Required field